Laughter and Liberation: Comedy and Storytelling for Social Change
From Dave Chappelle to Ali Wong to your crazy aunt Lydia, comedy is about taking your daily frustrations and turning them into something powerful and hilarious. Whether those frustrations are dealing with your high school principal or dealing with 500 years of institutionalized white supremacy, learn how to use comedic writing and performance techniques to turn the tables through laughter and liberation. In this interactive workshop, we explore the intersection of political humor and social justice, punchlines and picket lines. Combining creative writing and comedic storytelling, all participants will create one original piece to take home with them.
Schedule of events
- 2–3:30 PM Screening
- 3:30–4 PM Talkback / Q&A Session with the actors from The North Pole
- 4–5 PM Workshop on Creative Storytelling and Activism
- Global Affairs
- Department of Theatre and Dance
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Public Scholarship and Engagement
- Aoki Center
- Imagining America
- SAYS (Sacramento Area Youth Speaks)
Campus clubs and classes should contact Dr. Vajra Watson, email@example.com, to reserve space.